Greater Boston Urology Blog

What is Urogynecology?

We recently published an interview with Dr. Angel Marie Johnson, our urogynecologist and the director of our Women's Health Centers. But a popular question we keep hearing is this: What is urogynecology anyway?

Dr. Johnson is a urogynecologist. Not many people are familiar with this field of medicine. While we encourage you to read the in-depth Q&A with Dr. Johnson, we also wanted to provide a quick resource for our readers.

As with all content on Greater Boston Urology's blog, the following information is educational in nature, not medical advice. Always talk to your physician about your specific questions and health needs.

[Editor's note: This article was reviewed and updated on 3/18/24 to reflect the official name change  from Female Pelvic Medicine and Reconstructive Surgery (FPMRS) to Urogynecology and Reconstructive Pelvic Surgery (URPS).]

What Is Urogynecology? 5 Fast Facts

  1. Urogynecology and Reconstructive Pelvic Surgery (URPS) is the surgical sub-specialty of gynecology and urology and specifically addresses female pelvic floor disorders.
  1. As defined by the American Urogynecologic Society, "The pelvic floor is a set of muscles, ligaments and connective tissue in the lowest part of the pelvis that provides support for a woman's internal organs, including the bowel, bladder, uterus, vagina and rectum."
  1. Female pelvic floor disorders include (but are not limited to) overactive bladder, organ prolapse, stress urinary incontinence, and fecal incontinence.
  1. The path for becoming a urogynecologist goes like this: after finishing medical school, the physician will complete his or her residency in either urology OR obstetrics and gynecology. From there, the physician will receive further training and certification in female pelvic medicine and reconstructive surgery. These fellowship programs provide the physician with additional expertise and typically last two to three years.
  1. Urogynecology procedures focus on improving a woman's quality of life. Do you fear "having an accident" when sneezing or coughing or exercising? Have you changed your life and stopped doing things you love, such as traveling, because of an overactive bladder? Do you have fecal incontinence or gas leakage and feel you need to suffer in silence? A urogynecologist can help. Repeat after us: Your quality of life matters.

Do you think you could benefit from seeing our urogynecologist, Dr. Johnson? Schedule a consultation.


Subscribe to Blog via Email